May 6, 2019
Notice for Request for Statements of Qualification (RFQ)
Fowl River Marsh and Shoreline Stabilization and Restoration Phase I Engineering and Design
Mobile County, Alabama
Download Full RFQ (PDF, 86KB)
The Mobile Bay National Estuary Program requests qualified engineers, land surveyors, geoscience, or other similar professionals to submit a Statement of Qualifications (SOQ) through a competitive, qualification-based selection process to develop engineering and design documents and secure permits to protect priority shorelines and marshes.
The MBNEP has secured funding from the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation Gulf Environmental Benefit Fund (NFWF) and seek qualified engineers, land surveyors, geoscience, or other similar professionals to undertake engineering and design to stabilize and enhance:
- Shorelines of priority coastal zone spits in the marine and transitional zones identified in the Fowl River Watershed Management Plan.
- Interior tidal marsh consisting primarily of smooth cord grass and saltwater rushes with some pine savannah at higher elevations.
A major focus of MBNEP’s Comprehensive Conservation and Management Plan (CCMP) is to improve the effectiveness of landscape-scale resource management and habitat restoration and conservation strategies. Intertidal marshes and flats; along with freshwater wetlands; and streams, rivers, and riparian buffers; were identified by MBNEP’s Science Advisory Committee as the three most anthropogenically-stressed coastal habitat types.
The Purpose of this project is to improve what people most value about living on the Alabama coast, including beaches and shorelines, fishery resources, and environmental health and resilience, while improving the water quality of the Mobile Bay estuarine system.
The Goals are to:
- Develop a strategy to conserve, restore, and enhance beaches and shorelines.
- Conserve, restore, and enhance nearshore intertidal marshes and flats.
The selected consultant will work with the MBNEP to complete the following project Objectives:
- Informed by results of the Fowl River marsh health study, and with input from Watershed stakeholders, identify final shoreline restoration locations and develop an engineering and construction design plan to stabilize and enhance priority coastal spits and shorelines of Fowl River from negative impacts associated with sea level rise, increased salinity, and boat wakes.
- Develop all documents necessary to secure permits from the Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM), the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (ADCNR), and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), including a monitoring and adaptive management plan.
The following are some project requirements the Consultant will be expected to complete:
- Site reconnaissance and compilation and review of existing information
Review existing literature and data and visit the site to conduct a thorough geologic reconnaissance of the project location and surrounding areas to inform the geotechnical engineering analysis and design recommendations.
Acquire topographic and bathymetric (hydrographic) survey information necessary for engineering design and construction drawings.
- Geotechnical Investigation
Site-specific subsurface information will be collected for the engineering evaluation of geotechnical factors impacting site planning, marsh creation/land reclamation, and shoreline stabilization.
- Design Alternatives Analysis
Develop a technical report to summarize all site reconnaissance, surveys, recommended approaches, and other pertinent construction considerations.
- Engineering and Design Plans
Develop detailed plans, specifications, and cost estimates at various stages of project development.
Prepare applications for necessary permits to be submitted for the MBNEP to applicable agencies as necessary for permit issuance.
- Project Management and Public Outreach
Work with the MBNEP to ensure the project remains on schedule and budget and participate in necessary public outreach and engagement events.
Request for Qualifications, Inquiries, Contact Information, and Timeline
Potential Respondents interested in this RFQ should contact the MBNEP and request placement on the RFQ mailing list to ensure receipt of any amendments and other relevant information. Inquiries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Solicitation Issuance/Advertising Date Tuesday, May 7, 2019
Pre-Submittal Conference* Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Statement Receipt Closing Date Friday, June 7, 2019
Short List Notifications Monday, June 17, 2019
Short List Interviews Thursday, June 27, 2019
Award Exclusive Negotiating Right Monday, July 1, 2019
*Attendance at the Pre-Submittal Conference is mandatory for Statement consideration.
The most current RFQ document with any edits or modifications will be available at the MBNEP website. A mandatory pre-submittal conference will be conducted at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, May 15, 2019 in the Killian Room at the International Trade Center located at 250 N. Water St. in Mobile, AL 36602.